Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mama's Day!

Happy Mother's Day to all! While we all celebrate and appreciate our moms today, I think about my mom and my grandma and how they have gotten me to where I am today.

My grandma, Leta, is my inspiration in life. She has been in the purebred cattle business all of her life and is a highly respected cattle woman. She has a quiet manner and a natural instinct when it comes to cattle. She has shown since an early age, and when I started to show, she gave me advice on picking my animals and working with them. She doesn't attend shows too often anymore, but always wants to hear the details when I return home from one. I have learned many things from her, and she still offers advice everyday. She has accomplished so much in her life, and she is everything I want to be. She is a true vision.

My grandma, Leta, at 12 years old showing in the Calgary Bull Sale Baby Beef show, Champion Shorthorn Steer.

I don't know where I would be without my mom, Della. She too grew up in the cattle business and has worked many shows and sales. When I started showing, she was the one that encouraged me to get out in the ring and do my best. There are times when the responsibilities of life seem to be alot to handle, but Mom keeps me grounded and working hard. If it wasn't for her, I don't think I would have accomplished as much as I have in my show career, and I definitetly wouldn't have the same motivation. Mom encourages me to reach my goals and live life to the fullest every day.
My mom, Della, 7 years old at Olds Fair.

It is important that we young people have mentors and people encouraging and inspiring us to be successful in agriculture. Without my mentors, I wouldn't be where I am today. I feel lucky that I have a great mom and grandma who constantly push me to do my best and go for my dreams.

Me, 8 years old, Pee Wee Showmanship at Westlock Fair, my very first show :)

So let's all celebrate our mother's and thank them for being our inspirations and motivations!

No comments:

Post a Comment