Saturday, May 7, 2011

4-H Cleaning Up Alberta

Today saw many of the province's 4-H members pitch in at the 4-H program's annual fundraiser, Highway Cleanup. The 4-H program has been cleaning up Alberta's highways annually at the beginning of May for many years now. It is an excellent fundraiser as we make for a cleaner and healthier environment.

The Alberta 4-H program lets youth grow and learn together with other people who share the same interests. The philosophy of 4-H is to learn life skills for the future, become leaders, cooperate, and learn to do by doing. The 4-H program pledges to clearer thinking, greater loyalty, larger service and better living to our club, community and country. And in case any of you are wondering, the 4 H's stand for Head, Heart, Health, and Hands.

4-H members strive to become leaders and strengthen communities by volunteering and leadership work. Highway Cleanup today allowed us to do work in the community and to work together in groups. Not only did we do a good deed for the community, but it was a team-building activity as well. 4-H clubs need to continue doing these sorts of activities to ensure we maintain our reputation as young leaders in the community.

I have been a member of the Irricana 4-H Beef and Multi Club since I was 12 years old. Now practically an adult at 18, I feel that my 4-H experience has let me grow as a leader and develop skills I probably wouldn't have if I had never joined 4-H. Thanks to my experience, I feel I can use my leadership and cooperation skills in the future. Volunteering has motivated me to continue to help out in the community and make a difference. The 4-H program has been an excellent place for me to grow as a person.

1 comment:

  1. Every year, I am grateful to see all the 4-Hers out there working hard to make Alberta beautiful. You all rock!

    ReplyDelete