Sunday, May 15, 2011

Got Milk?

Do you ever wonder where the milk in your fridge comes from? I did a couple of years ago, but now thanks to a bit of education on the topic, I now know the real deal on milk production and dairy cattle!

Although I was born and raised a beef girl, I have taken an interest and learned a bit about dairy cattle over the years. But let me tell you, the first time I was introduced to dairy animals, it was a totally foreign thing to me. They are very different animals from beef cattle, from their conformation to their purpose. However, they are just as important in the agriculture industry as my beef cattle. These beautiful animals give people around the world everybody's favourite drink!

There are over 14,000 dairy farms in Canada, all of which play an extremely important role in milk production. The cows have to be milked twice a day, starting at the remarkably early hour of 4:00 AM. Yep, dairymen are early risers. It is a true dedication to a lifestyle and producing the wonderful milk that we all need.

I have become familiar with a number of dairy breeds in Canada. The one I am most familiar with is Holstein. Holsteins originated in the Netherlands, and have a black and white or red and white colour pattern. The average cow weighs close to 1500 pounds, and stands at an amazing 58 inches at the shoulder. More than 93% of Canada's dairy population is Holstein. 

Dairy cattle can be quite pricey animals as well. About a year and a half ago at the Toronto Royal Winter Fair, a Holstein cow sold for a whopping $1.2 million!

                                                                                  Missy, the million dollar cow

For the past number of years, I have attended the Dairy Classic Youth Judging Workshop put on by the Calgary Stampede. I really enjoy this workshop as it gives participants an in depth look at the makeup of dairy cattle by world renowned dairy expert Dr. Gordon Atkins. This was something I could have never learned on my own. We have the opportunity to judge classes of yearling heifers and mature cows.

What is easy to understand and what I really admire about dairy cattle is that they have a scorecard. When a cow is analyzed, four things are taken into consideration: their mammary system (their udder), dairy strength (the characteristics that make them a feminine, strong cow), the rump, and feet and legs. Yearling heifers are scored as well, but not including the mammary system. Cows are judged on this criteria and given a score. I really like that there is an exact standard of dairy cattle, and everybody respects that. In the beef industry, every cattleman simply has their own opinion on cattle. Beef cattle can be judged in many ways, but that winning dairy female is the same in every dairyman`s eyes.

Over the last few years, I have participated in many dairy judging classes (winning once with a score of 100!), become familiar with a number of breeds, and even made some friends who are in the dairy business. Even after all of this time, I am still in awe over these beautiful animals and the importance of them to the agriculture industry.

Check out these websites for more information!





No comments:

Post a Comment